2011年9月14日水曜日

The Great Gatsby


I read ‘‘The Great Gatsby’’ and the author is Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald. I chose this book because I’ve heard the word ‘‘Gatsby’’ before and I have good and bright impression on the word ‘‘Gatsby.’’ I expected the story was so cheerful. However, contrast to my expectation, the story was miserable and thoughtful.
              This story can be said that very sad love story. A man, Gatsby tries to be reconciled with a woman, Daisy who once loved him but is a wife of other man. Although his neighbor, Nick helps him to do that, his hope never comes true and he dies. The story is described from perspective of Nick, but I think main character is Gatsby because the changes of his feeling are described most skillfully. At the beginning part of the story, Gatsby’s feeling is covered. However, as the story proceeds his feeling is exposed gradually. Especially, at the middle of the story, his speech and behavior are so lively. At the end of the story, he starts to be disappointed the situation.
              The main theme of this story might be that difficulty of living purely and properly. For example, Gatsby becomes very rich but he has done so many illegal things. Daisy cannot be sure about whether she loves Gatsby and pure love of Gatsby and Daisy brakes. This theme seems to be related with the word ‘‘lost generation.’’ That word means that due to miserable damages of WW1, a lot of young people lost their hopes and became skeptical about the society.
              I like the scene that Gatsby takes Daisy to Nick’s house and talks with her. He is so pleasant at the scene and seems to be pure. I think this scene is very rare in the point of that there are few scenes in this story that Gatsby becomes pure. However I don’t like the scene that Gatsby dies because his dead means his feeling or emotion never come back anymore.
              Throughout this story, I came to think that we should live accepting existence of many difficulties and have power to defeat them. Moreover, to live in such way, we should recognize our own feelings by ourselves. By recognizing them, we can recognize our difficulties clearly. No two people have the same feeling at the same time, so ultimately we must deal with our difficulties individually though we can help each other on the way before defeating difficulties.

3 件のコメント:

  1. Nice pic! lol And nice reaction.
    I agree that no two people have the same feeling at the same time. In my opinion, what is important is to try to tell own feeling without hesitation. To expect people to guess our feeling causes misunderstanding.

    返信削除
  2. I didn't know that this story is a sad story:(
    Love affair is a difficult problem.
    Also, I think that "lost generation" can be occurred again. And I agree with you in the point that we should recognize our own feelings by ourselves.

    返信削除
  3. Nice book reaction, Takumi! Well-written and insightful. As you wrote, we can all help each other with our various difficulties, and I think literature like this novel helps us discover that important reality!

    返信削除